Monday, June 6, 2011

Second Life - Dining Set

Dining Chairs - BEFORE

Dining Chairs - AFTER



For all of you "gamers" out there...I'm giving my dining set a "second life" rather than attempting to sell it to someone who appreciates it in it's original condition.  I'm removing it from it's expected, traditional, conservative life and giving it the opportunity to experience life as something else, something brighter, something more youthful.  The darkness that lies beneath is temporarily disguised (with Sherwinn Williams Aesthetic White) until it's next owner decides if it should be revealed again. After all the sanding and painting involved in transforming just one chair, you can bet I'm not going to change it - as long as it's in my house.

I was light handed with the finish sanding to gently remove some of the paint down to the original finish.  I may go more crazy with the sanding later but I can always remove more when I see the whole set together.  I will finish the table using the same technique but a different color. I love blue and brown together so blue might be my final selection because of the chocolate brown walls in our dining area.

Finding the perfect fabric to recover the chairs has proven to be more difficult than I thought it would be.  I want an updated traditional.  Something like an oversized damask in punchy colors or a large-scale indoor/outdoor print.  The color of the fabric may end up driving the table color in the end.

Stay tuned for the final result...

No comments:

Post a Comment